Health benefits & recipe For plant-based lentil and sweet potato shepherd’s pie
This plant-based lentil and sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe is packed with nutrients that can provide a range of health benefits. Here are a few examples:
- Rich in fiber: Lentils and sweet potatoes are both excellent sources of dietary fiber. A high-fiber diet has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.
- Good source of plant-based protein: Lentils are a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. A diet rich in plant-based protein has been linked to a lower risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
- Provides vitamins and minerals: Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and manganese, while lentils are rich in iron, folate, and magnesium. These nutrients are important for maintaining healthy skin, eyes, bones, and immune function.
- May help with weight management: This recipe is low in calories and high in fiber and protein, which can help you feel full and satisfied after a meal. This can help with weight management by reducing the likelihood of overeating or snacking on unhealthy foods.
Overall, this plant-based lentil and sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe is a nutritious and tasty meal option that can provide a range of health benefits.
Vegan Lentil and Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 cup of green or brown lentils
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small pieces. Place them in a pot of boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, rinse the lentils and place them in a pot with 2 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, thyme, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils to the skillet and stir to combine with the onion and spice mixture.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash them with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, layer the lentil mixture on the bottom, followed by the mashed sweet potatoes on top.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious plant-based shepherd’s pie!